The Royal Spa at Corinthia Hotel Budapest

Jul 12 • Highlights, Hotels, News & Features, Unwind, Unwind & Indulge • 896 Views • Comments Off on The Royal Spa at Corinthia Hotel Budapest

In a city renowned for its health-restoring thermal waters, the Corinthia Hotel wouldn’t be complete without its own spa. The hotel’s spa, first opened in 1886, is yet another landmark within this impressive building, and at 1,000m², it is also one of Budapest’s most extensive spas. The Royal Spa has undergone extensive restoration to bring it back to its former glory and is today a place to feel pampered in. It has all the facilities of a contemporary spa and more, including a 15m pool, jetted spas, 12 massage rooms, and a range of hot tubs and relaxation beds. Caring and professionally trained health and beauty therapists provide a full complement of treatments. Fittingly for the city’s premier luxury hotel, our Royal Spa is quite simply one of the premier pampering facilities in the whole of Europe. While the crowning centrepiece of this elegant Art Deco building is the recentlyrefurbished 15-metre pool, originally opened in 1886, our extensive menu of 21st century treatments includes a range of luxury therapeutic body, face and massage treatments. Our spacious 1,000 m² facility also boasts a dedicated fitness room, saunas, steam bath and jacuzzi, together with various relaxation areas. Using the most effective ingredients and techniques from around the world, ESPA treatments combine the purest levels of the most potent natural ingredients with the latest age-defying technology.

The History of the Royal Spa The spa was planned and built by the architect Vilmos Freund in 1886-88. At that time it contained steam baths, wave and shower baths, electric baths, pneumatic chamber and a medical room with cold water. Contemporary journalists were fascinated by the spa’s appearance. In 1903 direct access was created for hotel guests. After the First World War, Freund was declared bankrupt and his heirs sold the spa in 1923 to the Royal Nagyszálló Rt. The spa operated until 1944 but from that time it has been closed. The abandoned, obsolete spa was rediscovered in 1983 and, according to the original documents, there were plans to use the spa area for parking facilities. Thankfully, János Dianóczki, who was in charge of planning the multi-storey car park, turned down the proposal. The media and the public supported him and his decision made it possible for the current owners to restore the spa today.

Comments are closed.